A wide range of effective remedies are now available in the pharmacy without the need for a prescription. The doctors in this surgery can recommend the following treatments for the common conditions mentioned. By treating yourself you can save yourself time and money as the majority of the drugs mentioned are cheaper than a prescription charge.
- 1% Hydrocortisone cream for skin irritation, contact dermatitis and eczema
- Piriton and other antihistamines for hay fever, insect bites and allergies
- Daktarin or Canesten cream for athlete’s foot, nappy rash or thrush
- Ibuprofen tablets for acute sprains, muscle aches or period pain
- Acyclovir (Zovirax) cream for cold sores
- Paracetamol syrup (Calpol or Disprol) or Ibuprofen for mild to moderate pain and temperatures in children
- For the treatment of many other common ailments such as threadworms, head lice, acne and tummy upsets, your pharmacist is trained to give advice
- Please see this link for more information – www.england.nhs.uk/over-the-counter-leaflet
If your condition does not clear up within a few days or you are uncertain about your diagnosis, then please consult your doctor.